The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a new multilateral financial institution founded to bring countries together to address the infrastructure needs across Asia. In support of this objective, the Bank offers financing for sound and sustainable projects across the following sectors:
- energy and power,
- transportation and telecommunications,
- rural infrastructure and agriculture development,
- water supply and sanitation,
- environmental protection, and
- urban development and logistics.
In its first year of operation, the AIIB welcomed 57 signatory countries and approved loans of over US$1.7 billion to support nine infrastructure projects across seven countries, including Pakistan, Bangladesh, Tajikistan, Indonesia, Myanmar, Azerbaijan and Oman.
The Bank has identified three strategic areas of focus over the coming years:
- Sustainable Infrastructure – promoting green infrastructure and supporting countries to meet their environmental and development goals.
- Cross-Border Connectivity – prioritizing cross-border infrastructure, ranging from roads and rail, to ports, energy and telecoms across Central Asia, and the maritime routes in South East and South Asia, and the Middle East, and beyond.
- Private Capital Mobilization – devising innovative solutions that catalyze private capital, in partnership with other MDBs, governments and private financiers.
For more information, please visit the AIIB website (www.aiib.org).